My 2018 Kingdom A&S Festival Fiore Display
Starting with a class I took at Pennsic in 2010, I have had an interest in studying the 1409 combat system of Fiore dei Liberi. I study it both as a historic martial art and to apply his techniques to SCA combat forms. I founded the Tir-y-Don Fiore Study Group and frequently study and teach Fiore techniques at practice, at Atlantian Universities, and via a YouTube channel. In October 2020 I started a virtual Fiore Book Club with biweekly meetings. I have been recognized with the Order of the Pearl for my HMA work.
As part of those studies I have created a series of flash card sets and drills that use the flash cards to learn the system:
- Fiore Longsword Postas Flash Cards and Drills
- Sword in Armor and Dagger Postas Flash Cards and drills
- Fiore Glossary Terms for footwork, range, and blows.
Fiore's Hybrid Cross Position (Posta de Croce Bastarda) from the Armored Sword section
Documentation and class handouts:
- Introduction to Fiore: Documentation, Class outline handout, and book club slide version.
- Fiore's Sword in Armor slides (no video) from online Atlantian University. Version with short 5 second videos: part 1, part 2, and part 3.
- Fiore's Sword in One Hand slides (no video) from online Atlantian University. Version with short 5-second videos part 1 and part 2.
- HMA in the SCA Slides from the inaugural online class for Tir-y-Don's A&S night during the Corona Virus distancing. The slides give a quick history of surviving period European combat manuals, how to interpret a play with demonstrations (via YouTube due to being online), and how to apply these techniques to SCA combat.
- Learning Fiore Types of drills that can be used to learn and train Fiore's system
- Applying Fiore to SCA Combat video - Part 1, Part 2
- Fiore Longsword Class outline handout
- Fiore for the Armored Medieval Fight Class outline handout
- Fiore Bibliography
- Using Fiore in SCA Combat Class outline for application of Fiore’s techniques to the SCA
- Surveying Period Rapier Manuals, a.k.a. "Master-a-Month" An high level survey approach to period rapier manuals.
- Introduction to Period Rapier Manuals class notes. Updated May 2014
- Rapier book bibliography with easy links for purchasing
Fiore Virtual Book Club slide sets
- Meeting 1 – Oct 11, '20: Intro to Fiore and Longsword Postas (Getty pg. 23v-24v)
- Meeting 2 – Oct 25: Sword in One Hand (without videos) Part 1, Part 2 (with videos) (Getty pg. 20r-21v)
- Meeting 3 – Nov 8: Sword in Two Hands pt 1 (Getty pg. 25r-26v)
- Meeting 4 – Nov 22: Sword in Two Hands pt 2 (Getty pg. 26v-30v)
- Meeting 5 – Dec 6: Armored Sword (without videos) Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 (with videos) (Getty pg. 32v-35r)
- (Holiday Break)
- Meeting 6 – Jan 10, ’21: Sword in Two Hands – Largo (Getty pg. 25r-26v) repeat
- Meeting 7 – Jan 24: Grappling and Baton (Getty pg. 6r-8r)
- Meeting 8 – Feb 7: Dagger part 1 (Getty pg. 9r-11r)
- Meeting 9 – Mar 7: Dagger part 2 (Getty pg. 11v-14r)
- Meeting 10 – Mar 21: Dagger part 3 (Getty pg. 14v,38,15r-16r)
- Meeting 11 – Apr 11: Dagger part 4 (Getty pg. 16v-20r)
- Meeting 12 - Apr 25: Spear and Poleaxe (Getty pg. 31r-v, 35v-40r)
- Meeting 13 - May 16: Mounted Combat (Getty pg. 41r-47r)
The Tir-y-Don Fiore study group has its own website and YouTube video channel where we demonstrate plays from the manual and methods for studying, learning, and applying them.